Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Princess

Her golden hair was braided into three parts; I saw them as she twirled in circles for us. I think she was around five, but you never know. Her little face was so eager as she balanced precariously on her toes.

She was about 2 and 3/4 feet tall: her princess dress (complete with Disney characters inscribed on the bodice) was so light that it shivered and danced with her.

"Excuse me," she said in her little girl voice. She already had our attention; Crystal and I had been admiring her dutifully. Her face dimpled shyly. "Have you seen any boys in the store?"

 We looked at each other, then back at her. "Boys?" I repeated, dumbly. I was so taken by her beauty, my mind was already her servant. (How can I be of assistance to you, m'lady?)

She was quite generous towards my ignorance. "Yes!" she lowered her voice, "Have you seen any boys in the store?"

By this point, I was feeling rather puzzled. Humans of that gender and age do indeed frequent the property but I had not seen any for the past 10 minutes or so. "What do you mean? Because --"

Flushing earnestly she interrupted me, "Yes -- I don't want to be stolen."

Grandma (The Queen) seemed to have arrived at that opportune moment, relieving us of our solemn duties to The Princess. As The Queen whisked The Princess away, Crystal and I heard an authoritative voice declaring, "You're not going to get stolen!"

To this The Princess replied, "But you never know..."

I swear that she almost sounded hopeful. Oh to be a Princess.

No comments: