Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Italian Cheese Bread

Last night, we had one of my favorite snacks. It's called “Italian Cheese Bread”. We don't have it often since cheese is so very expensive, but when we do have it, it disappears very quickly! :-)

I got this recipe from my friends Erin and Lindsey S. The latter sent the recipe to Tammy Luna, who posted it on her cooking website. That being said, I changed the recipe a little when I made it (due to not having their recipe on hand) but the idea is the same. I'll post my version but I'll also post the link to the original.

Italian Cheese Bread
1 C. water (70* - 80*)
1 ½ tsp dry instant yeast
2 TBSP melted butter/olive or canola oil
1 TBSP sugar/honey
1 tsp salt
3 C. flour

¼ - 1/3 C. Ranch or Italian dressing
¼ tsp. onion salt
½ tsp. thyme
½ tsp. oregano
1/8 tsp (or less, I just shook the shaker over it a few times) black pepper
1 C. mozzarella, grated
1 C. cheddar, grated

In dough mixer, put water, yeast, butter, sugar and salt. Let sit for a minute. Add a cup of flour and mix. While mixing, add the rest of the flour. The dough should be firm but not stiff. Let knead for five minutes.

Roll dough out into a 12” - 14” circle and place on a greased pizza or cookie sheet.

Spread the dressing evenly over the surface of the dough; sprinkle the onion salt, thyme, oregano and pepper, then spread the cheese over that.

Bake at 400* F. for 14-15 minutes until cheese is bubbly and bread is golden brown around the edges.


www.tammysrecipes.com/italian_cheese_bread

Be sure to check out Tammy's website for more excellent recipes!

2 comments:

bekah said...

This sounds good!

Anonymous said...

One of our favorites too!! It's addicting and like you, we don't have it terribly often but we sure do love it!