Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Wedding Plans

[This morning, a FB friend sent me an invitation to the "Cow Appreciation Day" Event. A few minutes later, she sent me an invitation to the "An Old Fashioned Singing" Event. Then she sent me an invitation to the "I'm addicted to Facebook" Event.]

This morning I had a mild panic attack about how close the wedding is at hand. It seems like time moves irregularly. Some moments crawl by like a itsy-bitsy snail traveling up an icy covered hill -- one slime forward, two slimes back. Other moments I find myself on the back of a cheetah going down the same hill, 3 seconds to 1 and we are gathering speed ladies and gentlemen! Hang onto your hats!

I need to be more organized.

Planning for a wedding has been one of the most interesting things I have ever done. And it could easily turn into the most stressful. I don't want that to happen. One of my co-workers told me the other day, "You should enjoy this time in your life." I am trying to remember that. :-)

The best thing we have done was deciding that we did not want to spend a lot of money. That has really made me be creative in my planning. There are things that will require some spending but already people have been so very generous. The wedding dress and bridesmaids dresses were all purchased and paid for by others. (I will not say who but you know who you are!) The venue fee was waved. The food is potluck. The band is family and friends. The flowers are being grown by friends.  Many of the decorations I bought cheaply or am borrowing. Now I am trying to be creative in my spending on the rest of the wedding.

The photographer is something I am willing to spend money on. I think that preserving memories is something that is really important. He is scheduled and has a downpayment. This is something I need to save money for and make sure I am in contact with him.

The wedding bouquets. I decided to order them professionally. While I don't want anything terribly formal or classy, I do want flowers that aren't going to fade or fall off the bouquet during the big day. I need to visit the flower shop in Carlyle around August 10th and chat with the flower lady. :-) This is something that I need to save money for and make a mark on my calendar.

Since the strike is off and my wedding invitations have arrived (they are absolutely gorgeous!), I need to begin getting my addresses and lists and postage together. This is something I will spend money on now.

The candy table and the cheesecake -- money and time. August.

Accomodations for family and friends who are traveling in from out of town. Reservations. Phone calls.

Something else that we really need: a marriage commisioner. We still haven't found one yet. We have tried and nothing seems to work out. I am really praying that God will provide someone. There is a big list of Marriage Commisioners in Saskatchewan. I should read through that list more carefully and see what I find. Prayers for that and any thoughts are greatly appreciated. :-)

Camp begins on the 2nd. Michele and Will are moving to another town where they have built a lovely big house. I need to get all of my stuff out of there before I start to teaching. Ah! life. :-) And Jesse made gingerbead cookies yesterday. They are soooo good. And we bought a vacuum cleaner yesterday so I was able to vacuum!

I'm marrying a good guy. Life is great. A wedding is just a wedding. I would like it perfect but if it isn't, I'm not going to care. Because life continues on far past the "big day" and with Jesse in it... so beautiful. I'm just praying for wisdom.

7 comments:

Anglican Mama said...

Aww, this was so exciting to read. :) My wedding was just six months ago, and oh, you explained the slimey-snail vs. cheetah time frames perfectly. :) But you are very right, you just breath and enjoy it. Cause all these many days of preparation are for just a few hours one sweet day. :)
Even if everything doesn't turn out perfectly (we had over 30 candles to decorate our ceremony and we forgot to light them! lol), you will still love it. :)

Bekah said...

I always love how you describe things... and thanks for the updates! :) {When was I suppose to remind you to include me on the invite list?! :P lol }

Anonymous said...

You've got a lot of wisdom there, and after you are married you won't care if everything was not perfect :D But still I hope and pray the rest of the planning goes along smoothly and you have time to smell the daisies. And that you find someone you both love who will marry you.
I am just thrilled at the thought of cheesecake, must tuck that idea away for my own someday wedding. ;)

Anonymous said...

You are wise beyond your years, Naomi! Just take your time and I'm sure it will all come together quite beautifully. Your plans are great! And I agree with you on the photographer and how important memories are.
Mmm, cheesecake! Can I come? ;)

Unknown said...

Things will work out fine as God see fit. I just wish that I could come help you... but with college in the way and the role I have to play as well I don't know how it will work out to come any earlier. I still wish though. :-) I enjoy hearing all the things you are doing.... and I hope that I can step into place a get things done for you as soon as I get there.... even though you think I shouldn't carry so much. It's too much for Mom to carry and I'm used to getting things done. :-)
I'll talk to you later.
Love,
Hannah

Naomi T. said...

Thank you girls... :) :) And, of course, you're all invited for cheesecake! :)

kennady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.