Sunday, December 19, 2010

Quotes

I was looking up quotes again this morning and found some that made me think. I love being made to think. :-) May these cause you to wonder this day.

Who could refrain that had a heart to love and in that heart courage to make love known? -- William Shakespeare

The beginning of love is to let those who love be perfectly themselves, and not to twist them to fit our own image. Otherwise we love only the reflection of ourselves we find in them. -- Thomas Merton


All your western theologies, the whole mythology of them, are based on the concept of God being a senile delinquent. -- Tennessee Williams [I find misconceptions of God are horrible and inevitable. We simply cannot comprehend or completely understand God or even the concept of God, therefore we create our own ideas about Him. But, as prone to error we humans are, I believe that the Bible gave us some clues.... what is the greatest commandment and the second greatest commandment? Love... loving God; loving people.]

If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it? -- Steven Wright [I was thinking Ozzie might be brilliant in this experiment.]

Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is  people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman 

True holiness consists in doing God's will with a smile. -- Mother Teresa

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. Is it our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make the manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. -- Marianne Williamson 

Never tell a young person that anything cannot be done. God may have been waiting for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing. -- G. M. Trevelyan

I still have this cold. But I am coughing less this morning, which was a big blessing. I fell asleep quickly last night and woke up around 8:30, rarin' to go. :-) I will be so glad to finish up all my projects and get them packaged up. :-) I love projects and I love finishing them, too. Hehe. Cheers, my friends. May God show a little of Himself to you today and may you find great joy in Him.

Research the truly matters:
The following link made me chuckle... and as I am a great fan of cookie dough, it also made my day.
http://allrecipes.com/Cook/18712315/BlogEntry.aspx?postid=210678

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love quotes and I love being made to think too. :) I think we'd get along well in "real" life ;)

My favorites:

Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman


Never tell a young person that anything cannot be done. God may have been waiting for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing. -- G. M. Trevelyan


Sorry to hear you still have your cold but at least your cough is lessening!
May your day be joyous!

Naomi T. said...

Hi Sam... thanks so much for the comment. You always brighten my day. :) :) Ohhh... I really liked those too!!

My day was joyous. :) How was yours?

ME .[ZX] said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bekah said...

Thanks for some thought-provoking quotes... I really liked the one by Thomas Merton.