Thursday, November 25, 2010

Rejoicings plus Odds and Ends

Though our feelings come and go, God's love for us does not. -- C.S. Lewis

My thoughts lately, "I can't believe I said that!" "I'm such a ditz." "I don't know how anyone could like me." It's interesting how sensible and correct they seem when they pop into my mind and I stow them away without examining them.

But when I do take them out and look at them, I see how destructive and wrong these thoughts are. Why are they wrong? They're proud thoughts. I have been taking pride in my "humility" and spirituality. That alone makes them proud thoughts. But there's another aspect, as well. God has promised us His love and power. While there is a time for guilt and repentance, there is no time for self pity and focusing on our weakness.

So, I am trying to establish a new habit: Whenever a negative thought comes to my head, instead of inwardly moaning about myself, I think of something to thank God for. When I think of something stupid I have done, I thank God that there are people who love me. When I think of something I am truly ashamed of, I thank God for His gift of forgiveness and love.

I watched Star Wars (both Trilogies) over the past few weeks and the character Yoda said something I found very thought provoking: "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." When I am thinking negative thoughts about myself, it ultimately leads me to thoughts of anger. Anger towards myself, God, people in my life, my past, situations... that anger then transfers itself to bitterness and hatred (or, at least, dislike). I have seen what these emotions have done to those around me... I have seen hate destroy the person and hurt others in his or her life. It is not a path I wish to travel. My greatest desire is to live with love. I wish love to become such a part of me that it is me.

This evening, take a moment and think about what it means for God to love you. I have been dwelling on that today and it fills me with such happiness. I am so blessed. Beyond words blessed. :-)

Today, my friend Jeanette sent me a link: http://listen.grooveshark.com/ ... I am now listening to the soundtrack from Howl's Moving Castle, one of my favorite anime films. I am excited to see what else they have available. :-) Thanks, Jeanette. You made my day. :-)

I finished my last day of teaching this week. It was amazing. I have some of the best students in the world. :-) I am so glad to have them. Rylan and Rese both came with face paint and in Rider shirts. The entire community goes green along with the team. Fun. :-) I'm not into sports that much but the spirit is undeniably contagious.

(At camp, there were some really athletic kids...)


Did you know the fingering for the Ab scale is really interesting? It works but honestly, it's not something I would have picked up on my own. Thank goodness for musically knowledgeable people and the internet. I hate the thought of teaching a student something that was an error. For those who are wondering, fingering for R.H. is: 23 123 1234 123 123 ; L.H. is: 321 4321 321 4321 2. 

Something else to think about: my timing stinks on the song "Just You Wait". I wish I could practice with the band a little more before the show. :-P Lol. Well, it's much better than it was. I just need to keep working at it. :-) I love the tune. The chord structure is so interesting and the colors are amazing.

Well, I'm off to eat my supper. You know, I made soup the other day. Then, Michele took my soup and made soup. I am always amazed at her culinary skills. She's amazing. Someday, I would like to cook like her. For now, I simply devour. ;-) May your day, regardless of country in which you may dwell, have been a happy thanksgiving. :-) :-)

9 comments:

Jenni said...

Awww, glad you like Grooveshark. :D

Anonymous said...

Grooveshark = amazingness. I love that site.

All the flat scales have weird fingering!!

Naomi T. said...

Jenni, :) :) :)

And yes, the more I immerse myself with music, the more I realize that flat scales are weird all around. ;) It helps that I learned to play hymns and they are all in weird keys... so...

Do you have much experience with transposing? With the number system, it's one of the funnest things ever... so cool.

Anonymous said...

Love that quote by Mr. Lewis...
I'm terrible about 'beating myself up' and putting myself down and not loving who God made me to be. And then it's as though God shakes me and wakes me up to see the harm I am doing in believing the lies. SO thankful for His truth!!

I like your idea of Thanking God for something each time a negative thought comes into your hear. I should put that into practice too. It will help tremendously, I"m sure!
"Whatsoever things are lovely..."

Some people's athleticism amazes me! I am somewhat athletic but just average. =D
We're having soup tonight; turkey soup!

Jessica said...

It is a lack of faith that causes me to focus on my sin to the point that I can't walk in the joy and TRUTH of the Gospel. And it is pride to self-righteously remember that which God has chosen to forget (my sin!). This perspective completely changes one's outlook on life, and empowers us to live triumphantly and joyously as his children!

Thank you for your thoughts on this subject...such a wonderful reminder. :)

Naomi T. said...

Sam, God's truth cleanses our bodies and sharpens our focus. Yes, thank God for the shaking!! :) I definitely need it...

I hope you enjoyed your turkey soup. That sounds absolutely delicious.

Jessica, thank you for your thoughts. They were something I needed to hear this morning. :hugs: Let us have joy in God's goodness.

Bekah said...

Great thoughts on pride! :) Ouch!

Unknown said...

Hey sis,
Sounds like you're learning lots just like me. :-) Love you.
Eruanna

Naomi T. said...

Bekah... ouch from here, too. :)

Hannah, I love you. :)