Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Cinnamon Twists

My sisters and I made these a lot a few years ago... but we got out of the habit. So, when I suddenly thought of them the other day, they almost seemed legendary: all I could remember was that they were wonderful and the dough had a special ingredient. Since my husband loves cinnamon, I decided to call my mom up and see if she could remember the recipe. At first, she didn't but as we prodded old memories to life, she found the recipe in our 1950 Betty Crocker Cookbook. I love that cookbook!

Today, I made them and I discovered that I simply must share the recipe with you. It is so easy and the result of your labor is really, really good. :-)


Cinnamon Twists

1 C. Sour Cream

Heat in saucepan until lukewarm. Take off heat and add:


 3 TBSP sugar
1/8 tsp . soda
1 tsp. salt
2 ½ tsp yeast
1 large egg
2 tbsp shortening (butter)
3 cups flour (add one cup at a time)

Mix until you have a smooth dough. (I mix by hand, then put dough out on counter and knead until smooth.) Lightly flour counter and roll into a 12" x 24" rectangle. 

Mix together: 

1/3 C. Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Cinnamon 

Spread dough with butter, then sprinkle sugar mixture over half of dough. Then, fold dough over itself. Cut into 24 strips. Twist each strip a couple of times and place on greased cookie sheet, pressing ends down (so the twists don't untwist...). Allow twists to rise for an hour in a warm place. 

Bake at 375* for 12 - 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Glaze when cool. 

Glaze: 
2 TBSP boiling milk
1 tsp soft butter/shortening
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 C. icing sugar

Mix until smooth and drizzle over twists. 

3 comments:

A Heart of Praise said...

These look and sound so yummy!! I will probably be trying them soon. Thanks for the recipe!

Mountain Mama said...

Thank you for sharing. I've always wanted to try making these!

Naomi T. said...

Yay! I'm glad to be a help. :) These are definitely worth the effort!