Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Naomi Dolls Up... among other subjects

Michele and I were talking...

Wait a minute. Did I...? Yes. I did. My last post began in a similar fashion. ;-) Have you begun to suspect that we talk a lot? :-)

Well, the lady has been a teacher for many years... and a good one. After listening and watching me teach one of my students, she gave me some advice that I am intending to follow to the best of my ability:

1: Dress up. Don't stay in my bunny hug and paint bespattered skirt, even if they are comfy and warm. (There *is* a heater in my studio which I can use...)

2: Make a solid lesson plan to follow for the half hour.

3: Get the student on the piano bench and playing. Less 'chit-chat the better'.

4: A grown-up spending a half hour of solid one on one time with a child will never be forgotten. "People almost always remember who their piano teacher was" for that reason.

5: Reward practice time; reward children for every fifteen minutes they practice, etc. (I'm still not sure what to do for my older students...)

6: Make my studio professional looking. Customize it. Make a special place for me and my student.

Not one of my students but a friend from camp. The one. The only. THOMAS!!!

One other thing I would love to do but I'm not sure how this is going to work out, is to get all of my students together and create a performance they can all do together. Each person has their own special part in it. But we shall see. For now, my heart is beating a little strangely over all I must accomplish this morning... and still have energy for this afternoon. ;-)

7: Pray for my students individually and ask for wisdom regarding how to teach them.


Cheers, my dears. May your day today be as enjoyable as mine...

5 comments:

Galloping Guitarist said...

Hey Noami, good thoughts! I hope everything works out. :-)
LOL! Tom is slightly taller than you! ;D It's a good thing he's not any taller, you'd end up looking like a hobbit. Which, I guess wouldn't be too unpleasant. BTW, I love ya just the way you are! No need for you to be taller, you just need a car like Gilly's. :-) Yesterday Bekah and I were discussing the problem of small cars. We both wants trucks. :-)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like good advice; I know you will do well! =)
How "tall" are you Naomi? I am just *barely* 5' 3".
P.S. It is great to have someone to talk to! ;o)

Naomi T. said...

Lyddy, I hope you've forgiven me for wrongs justly meeted out. :-P :-) I love teasing you. I could use a small car. And I love looking like a hobbit. Thank goodness I missed the hairy feet, though. ;-)

Jac, I am 5'3 and a tiny bit. The tiny bit part is important to me. Hehe. Good to 'meet' someone else who is my height. :-) And yes indeed it is extremely important.

Anonymous said...

Great goals for yourself. I'm impressed! :)
Hope you can find a small car ;)
BTW, small cars are great for fuel mileage. Even if a truck is more cool or comfortable!

Naomi T. said...

Samantha, I'm sure I'll find a small vehicle somewhere... right now I just need to get to where I can legally drive it. Haha. ;-) I love how they're so much better on mileage than our van or truck. I think a vehicle is definitely made cooler by who is in the driver's seat... Lol. :-)