Sunday, October 31, 2010

Gems From George MacDonald

My Sunday sermon. :-) A friend recommended some books by George MacDonald and I have been googling. Did you know that I have a lot of growing to do? :-) I wanted to share some of the truths I have been thinking about. I hope they'll be a blessing. :-)


"Whose work is it but your own to open your eyes? But indeed the business of the universe is to make such a fool out of you that you will know yourself for one, and begin to be wise." 
 George MacDonald (Lilith)


"The world is full of resurrections. Every night that folds us up in darkness is a death; and those of you that have been out early, and have seen the first of the dawn, will know it--the day rises out of the night like a being that has burst its tomb and escaped into life. "
— George MacDonald


"To try to be brave is to be brave." 
 George MacDonald

"Then the Old Man of the Earth stooped over the floor of the cave, raised a huge stone from it, and left it leaning. It disclosed a great hole that went plumb-down. 
That is the way," he said. 
But there are no stairs." 
You must throw yourself in. There is no other way." 
 George MacDonald (The Golden Key)


"There is no water in oxygen, no water in hydrogen: it comes bubbling fresh from the imagination of the living God, rushing from under the great white throne of the glacier. The very thought of it makes one gasp with an elemental joy no metaphysician can analyse. The water itself, that dances, and sings, and slakes the wonderful thirst--symbol and picture of that draught for which the woman of Samaria made her prayer to Jesus--this lovely thing itself, whose very wetness is a delight to every inch of the human body in its embrace--this live thing which, if I might, I would have running through my room, yea, babbling along my table--this water is its own self its own truth, and is therein a truth of God."
— George MacDonald


"The best thing you can do for your fellow, next to rousing his conscience, is — not to give him things to think about, but to wake things up that are in him; or say, to make him think things for himself." 
 George MacDonald (A Dish Of Orts)


"We are and remain such creeping Christians, because we look at ourselves and not at Christ; because we gaze at the marks of our own soiled feet, and the trail of our own defiled garments.... Each, putting his foot in the footprint of the Master, and so defacing it, turns to examine how far his neighbor’s footprint corresponds with that which he still calls the Master’s, although it is but his own."
— George MacDonald (Unspoken Sermons: Series I, II, III)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love George MacDonald!
I have quite a few of his books and love his devotionals.

Naomi T. said...

I was not a fan of his until I read Back of the North Wind. That book changed my entire view of the world. :)

Anonymous said...

I find George MacDonald's books intriguing, although perhaps in a realm often above my own understanding at times. But that only encourages me to dig deeper. Have you read this fiction and non-fiction?
Love that first quote and can so relate to it!

Bekah said...

Lots to think about here

Naomi T. said...

Back of the North Wind was the only unabridged of his books that I've read. I actually was so not a fan of his until I read that because I don't appreciate Michael Phillips' style. However, he did make the world aware of George MacDonald's existence. :-) I really would like to read more. I should make time for it. I would like to begin Heather and Snow.

Bekah, my brain is still processing. :-)

Bekah said...

Now why does that NOT surprise me?!?! :P lol

I have never read any of George MacDonald's stuff, simply because they never looked interesting to me.

As for Michael Phillip's, some of his stuff is a little "blah" and some "not good", but I really like some of his series.

Naomi T. said...

Haha! :P You know me too well. ;)

As far as George MacDonald's books... I would definitely advise you to wait until you're ready for them. :) I was not ready for them for awhile.

Michael Phillip's forever made a non-fan out of me through his rose series. They were very poorly written. It was like he just flew through them without giving it a lot of thought. The Stonewyke series were pretty good, though, now that I think of it. :)

Bekah said...

Thanks for the advice, oh wise old one! :P *laughs*

Yes, his "rose" series were his worst series...and I haven't even read them yet! lol Have yet to hear good about them! I loved his "The Shenandoah Sisters" series totally and so did my Mom!!!

Naomi T. said...

:puts out a shaking hand: :croaking: You're very welcome, child... very welcome indeed.

;)

I guess I should read "The Shenandoah Sisters" then! :D You've made me curious.

Bekah said...

lol :P

You'd like them, I think. :)