Saturday, October 30, 2010

Fiddle and Banjo -- CD Release Party

...let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee. Psalm 5:11b

I had the best Friday and Saturday I've had in a long time. :-) I don't remember if I've mentioned Karrnnel Sawitsky before but I do know I've mentioned Daniel Koulack. These two phenomenal musicians recently recorded an album entitled "Fiddle and Banjo". It was given that name because those two instruments make up 99% of the music on said album. ;-) Does that sound boring and uncreative? I beg to differ.


I appreciate Karrnnel's music for it's vitality and uniqueness. He appeals to many audiences and ages... not just the typical fiddle/folk crowd. His style ranges to all genres and all tempos and moods; so colorful and rich. I wish I could find the words to tell you exactly how his music is so alive. I cannot, however. So, you'll just have to check it out for yourself. 

Daniel Koulack... what can I say about Daniel?? :-) He is probably the gentlest man I've ever known and wisdom is a language he frequently speaks. I wish everyone could meet him. I feel so blessed to call him a friend. And Daniel isn't just an awesome person... he's a wonderful musician. As with all musicians, his music is a reflection of himself. It's beautiful and quirky folksy and very Daniel-ish. :-) It has a Eastern European Jewish Canadianized flavor. If you don't know what that sounds like... well, again, I advise some serious googling to find out. :-)
Both of these men have been playing for most of their lives and both, to quote Michele, are 'super musicians'. So, imagine them doing music together. Imagine them live, in a CD release party. :-) And that's why yesterday was the best Friday in a long time. ;-) :-) No pictures. Sorry. :-P Eventually, I am buying a camera and then, you will be deluged with pictures. ( You'll actually beg for me to stop. ;-)) 

An interesting twist to the evening was that CBC Radio recorded the concert live. We got to 'work' at our cheering and applause and were complimented for our efforts. It was a happy time. ;-)

The best memory... well, it would have to be the jam after the concert. So much fun!! It's amazing sitting in a room with so many awesome musicians. Nathan Baker, Gillian Maher, Tahnis Cunningham, Daniel Koulack, Ray Bell, Karlie, Karrnnel, Samantha and others, whose names slip my mind. So many people there I know from camp... Buzz was there. That mention is for people who know him. :-P Especially my sisters.

So, I got to sleep at about 3:30 or 4 am. Michele's daughter put us (Michele, Jesse and myself) up for the night. (Had the basement all to myself! :-)) Appreciate the hospitality so much. People are kind and don't even realize it. :-) Well, my head is not working at it's best and I should watch a movie so I can review tomorrow. What shall it be? Robin Hood? Or Hook? Or maybe... :-)




4 comments:

Lindsey said...

Sounds like an awesome couple days you had! :) Glad you were able to make it over there.

I thought you had a camera??

Naomi T. said...

I am glad too. :)

The camera I usually use is Lydia's. She was so kind to let me use it all the time when we lived in the same vicinity... I appreciate all the experience I gained through her generosity. My camera is really old and eats batteries at a rate that makes my bank account shudder. So it was left behind to Martha. :)

Lindsey said...

heh heh, I gave my first camera to Graham when I got my new one and it went through batteries like Heinz goes through pickles. It died a little while ago and now is one of my nephew's toys. :)

What kind would be inclined to get? I really like my Samsung and Graham and Emily just bought the same model off ebay. It takes great video!

Naomi T. said...

That rate of battery usage makes me feel annoyed. :-P (Probably the understatement of the year.) Siblings are fun to pass annoyances onto, eh? ;-)

I have no idea about what camera I should get. I am thinking more semi-professional. I would *love* to take high quality photographs. However, I need a smaller camera for snapping/taking to friend's houses, etc. So, I'm still kind of thinking. However, Dad has always spoken highly of Nikon. ??? I do like your Samsung. :-)