Monday, October 11, 2010

Thankfulness


(My sister Cilla and I are pals. February 2009)

I am thankful to be loved
I am thankful to love
I am thankful to be lovable. (Depending on the day. :-))

Thanksgiving is here, once again. I remember blogging past thanksgivings with lists of things to be thankful for and I could do that again. I could. But as I asked a friend the other day, "is there any real originality left in the world?" ;-)

So I thought I would post the top three things I was incredibly grateful for... and as it turns out, they're all about love. Love begins and ends all things; so do I.

My life has taken some interesting turns the past few months. I am being forced to examine my beliefs, my life, my friends, my relationships... ultimately, myself. What do I want from life? My goals? Where do I feel God is leading me? Yesterday, as I was (finally!) admitting something to myself that I had known for a very long time, I was frightened. It seemed like without that one thing to hold on to, especially right now, I would waver and fall. But I realized that I was being forced to turn to God alone for comfort and courage and strength. This is where I should have been all along.

I am thankful for realizations like these. I am thankful for being buffeted by the winds of life and grasping at the only thing I can. He is my rock and fortress, my comfort in time of trouble. He loves me.

What has been happening in my life lately?

Teaching. This you know. But you know not how wonderful it has been! I have ten students and I feel like I'm  seeing progress in almost all of them. Not just in piano playing but confidence in themselves and our relationship as a teacher/student/friend. It is so exciting watching them realize something about music. :-) The more I teach, the more passionate I am. These are the moments I cannot wait for the future to teach me how to be the best piano teacher in the world. ;-)

Michele's kids made it home for Thanksgiving and we have been having a blast. :-) Firstly, we played this amazing game: The Settlers of Catan. Before which I was warned to not mind being annihilated because that was most likely going to be my fate. However, these people took pity on me and between all their brains, I managed to come in third. I think. It's a very complicated game but I liked it...

Yesterday evening, we volunteered at The Happy Nun. Michele and Brie waitressed tables; Gillian and I washed dishes; Aaron and Will did bar/sound/buffing glasses. This restaurant is the most amazing place in the entire world. I kid you not. Owned and run by Don and Shannon  Shakotko, who are friends and amazing people all around. :-) If you're ever in Forget, you simply must check them out. Anyways, we were there until midnight and I didn't get into bed until around 2 am this morning.

Well, I would write more but voice in the kitchen indicate that everyone has shown their face but me. :-) So I will prepare myself for visuals (you probably wouldn't want to lay eyes on me about now... let's just say my appearance indicates a good sleep ;-)). Lol.

Two practices at the theater today as well as my third celebration of the Canadian Thanksgiving. :-) Life is busy as well as good! Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

P.S. http://www.happynuncafe.ca/ :-)

10 comments:

Galloping Guitarist said...

I love it! Keep on with the very encouraging posts Naomi! I look forward to every post by you! They either make me smile, laugh outright, or examine my life and see how I can improve it! Thank you!

Love you my sister!

Naomi T. said...

:hugs: Love you, too! These posts are me talking to myself, mostly. ;-) I'm so glad you enjoy them... it's nice to get feedback. :-)

Unknown said...

It's very wonderful to see that through all the twists and turns and challenges, you are still holding on to God as the beginning and end. After all God "Is" love and as you said, Love begins and ends all things. Love has many faces and so does deceit! You will never fail when you cling to God's word and dig into the truths that can only be found in him. A whole new crew of Holters stepping out and exercising their faith. God will reveal his truth to you in the same way David proclaimed in Psalm 25:12 What man is he that feareth the LORD? him shall he teach in the way that he shall choose.
Psa 25:13 His soul shall dwell at ease; and his seed shall inherit the earth.
Psa 25:14 The secret of the LORD is with them that fear him; and he will shew them his covenant.

By the way, Can't wait to jam sometime soon :)! God bless.

Klaus said...

Settlers is an Amazing Game. We love it! :)

Unknown said...

I believe we now have every expansion there is - from cities and knights to traders and barbarians. Also the 5-6 player expansions as well :)! You in catan territory when you come out our house! Oh, and we just got the card game which is awesome as well for a 2 player game.

Bekah said...

Hey there, Naomi. Long time, no comment. :( Sorry about that! But I have been reading...

I suppose you heard about Liddy and me having a blast together? :)lol

Anyways, you posted this right on my 18th birthday! Yep, I have joined the ranks of adultes. :) (For better or for worse...hopefully the first...) And, no, I don't feel older.

Glad to hear you are having such a good time.

Bekah

Anonymous said...

The town is called "Forget"? Interesting!!
Very good htings to be thankful for :)

Naomi T. said...

Nathan, thanks so much for the encouragement! I needed to read it. :) Thank you also for the prayers. I appreciate them...

I didn't realize that Settlers of Catan was such a popular game! I only heard of it two days ago. :) But I already know it's going on my 'good game' list. On a separate note, funny how much of an ice breaker games are...

Bekah! I can't believe I forgot your birthday! Happy belated birthday, my friend! I hope it was lovely and that the coming year will be wonderful, too. :) Love you!! Yes, I heard about you and Lyddy going shopping and having coffee together. It sounds like you guys had a delightful time. :)

Sam, it's pronounced "fore - zhjay". Lol. I'm not sure how to write it out... There was actually a book written about it entitled "Remembering Forget". Awful pun, eh? It wasn't a very inspirational book either. Lol.

Klaus said...

I love it that you and Gillian are in the photo gallery of The Happy Nun. :)

Naomi T. said...

I'm chattering away as usual!! That was an awesome night... came home around midnight and ate turkey sandwiches. Mmmm.